Best trekking destinations in Nepal
The best way you can experience any country up close is by going for a trek there. You are not only going to see the nature that those places will offer but you will also have a chance to get acquainted with the people and the culture of the places you will be passing through. Nepal is a place full of cultural and natural diversity and with so many trekking destinations to choose from you can pick just the right one for yourself.
Here, we have a list of some of our favorite trekking destinations in Nepal.
- Annapurna Base Camp Trekking: Annapurna base camp situated at a height of 4130m is one of the most popular trekking destinations in Nepal. The trek starts from Pokhara city which is also known as the “city of lakes”. This trek can take around 7-14 days depending on your itinerary. This trek offers diverse landscapes with breathtaking views and diverse culture. Passing through lush forests with rhododendrons, and then dry rocky landscapes to finally reach the base of the mountains it’s a wonderful experience on its own.
- Everest Base Camp Trekking: Everest Base Camp these words itself are enough to bring in the excitement. A trek to the base of the highest mountain in the world. A dream destination to most it is a place to be once in your life. The trek will start from Lukla and you can reach there either by a direct flight from Kathmandu or take a bus from Kathmandu to Phaplu and trek for 2 days to Lukla. Besides from the magnificent view of the Everest, there are many other beautiful mountains you will come across and not only that the flora and fauna you will see during the trek will add to your trip. Everest Base Camp trekking is a bit more difficult compared to other treks but as Shakespeare once said “The course of true love never did run smooth”, your love for trekking might not be smooth but in the end it will all be worth it. Besides, you will have guides by your side to help you with the acclimatization and other safety issues.
- Rara Lake Trekking: Rara lake is the most blissful trekking destination. If you want to go somewhere with beauty and solitude then choose Rara Lake. Your trek to Rara Lake situated in the Rara National Park of Mugu district starts from Nepalgunj. You can reach Nepalgunj either by a flight or a bus from Kathmandu. From Nepalgunj you go to Jumla and your walk will start there. The destination “the Rara Lake” is a place of heavenly bliss and if you are lucky then you can also see exotic animals like Goral, Himalayan Tahr and the almost extinct Musk Deers. It is also a paradise for bird watchers.
- Ghorepani Poonhill Trekking: Ghorepani Poonhill trek is one of the most popular treks among the easy going trekkers or the first timers. Falling on the Annapurna Region this trek gives you the essence of the Annapurna Region in a short period of time with an easy trek. This trek starts from Pokhara and can take around 4days to a week depending on your time and itinerary. You can see amazing views of the mountains like Fishtail, Annapurna and Dhaulagiri and also don’t miss the hike to Poonhill for a breathtaking sunrise from between the mountains. If you are a lover of greenery then the lush green forests full of Rhododendron flowers and green hills during this trek is sure to be a treat for you.
- Upper Mustang: Upper mustang is also known as the Forbidden Kingdom. If you are the kind of traveler who is more into history, religion and cultural aspect of the places you visit then your trek to Upper Mustang is going to be the journey of a life time. The trek to Upper Mustang will take you the Buddhist Kingdom of Mustang and ultimately to its capital Lo Manthang, with the Royal palace and many beautiful monasteries. It falls in one of the most remote parts of Nepal and was open to outsiders only on the 1990’s and its seclusion contributes to its existing rich Tibetan Culture and untouched nature. The rocky landscapes topped with white washed stone houses, colorful prayer flags fluttering in the wind, beautiful alleys with prayer wheels and the sounds of the bells and resonance of the herding animals will make you feel like you are in a different world.